We pick out our Top 3 talking points from EPL Match day 5…
- Mourinho honeymoon period well and truly over!
“Some players probably feel the pressure and responsibility too much” was Jose Mourinho’s response today, to their first defeat to Watford in 30 years.
The Hornets convincingly beat the Red Devils this afternoon, with goals from Capoue, Zuniga and Troy Deeney, hitting United with their third straight defeat in a row.
It would seem the derby defeat last week has damaged the team. Have these defeats put an end to any early title credential hopes for Manchester United?
Either way, it seems there’s still work to be done yet at Old Trafford & Jose’s good start to the season, is well and truly over.
- Stick two men on Antonio, when facing West Ham crosses!
His team may not have started the season so well, with West Ham United languishing 18th in the Premier League table after their 4-2 away defeat to West Brom but Michail Antonio has got off to a flyer!
The England international’s goal at the Hawthorns was his 5th goal already this season, putting him current joint top goal scorer with Chelsea’s Diego Costa.
Yesterday’s goal was also a record, in the fact he has scored more headed goals (5) on his own, than any other team in the Premier League this season thus far!
If he can continue this kind of form, we may well see him starting in an England shirt sooner rather than later!
- Everton mean business!
Few would have predicted Ronald Koeman’s Everton would have been the closest rivals to Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City at this early stage of the season!
Along with Tottenham & City, they remain the only unbeaten sides in the league after five games and currently sit in second place, just two points behind the leaders.
With the resurgent form of Romelu Lukaku (4 goals in 2 games) and the defensive stability of Ashley Williams an Co – only conceding three goals so far this season, can the Toffees prove to be the surprise package of the season?
Or will they soon come unstuck? Next game is away to Bournemouth! No disrespect to the Cherries but you’d put money on the run continuing a little longer yet.
Additional talking point from 17th/18th September 2016…
- Are Arsenal slowly finding form after a 4-1 away win to Hull City? Is Alexis Sanchez turning into the striker Arsenal crave?
- After yet another defeat for both Stoke & Sunderland – are Mark Hughes or David Moyes the most likely to become the first managerial casualties of the season?
- Antonio and Capoue – score again! Dream team bargains? Who would you prefer?
- After grabbing two goals at the weekend –will Islam Slimani get more goals than Jamie Vardy at Leicester this season?
- Rahemm Sterling is on fire! Most improved player thus far this season? Can he continue the form?
- Can anyone stop Manchester City? Can they go the season unbeaten?
Leave comments below…