1FW picks out 3 talking points from EPL Match day 4…
- Manchester City are the team to beat!
An obvious statement, even before last Saturday’s derby win against city rivals Manchester United. It’s the convincing manner however, in which they out-played Mourinho’s team; that will fill Citizens with much belief that Pep Guardiola and his beautifully (already) infused brand of attacking football, can return the Premier League title to the Etihad Stadium this season.
Ok, the score line wasn’t emphatic but the intensity of their conviction was, made even more special by the absence of star striker Sergio Aguero. Add to that, Claudio Bravo has to settle, plus fellow summer signings Gundogan and Sane – let alone Brazilian wonder kid Gabriel Jesus (whom arrives in January), are yet to make their mark on the team – it would seem Manchester City are still going through the motions – yet have already thrown down the gauntlet to their fellow challengers.
- Spurs could well be the silent assassins for a title challenge?
While all the hype has been about the new, so called, big named ‘elite’ managers (Guardiola, Mourinho, Conte), joining the Premier League this year; plus Klopp building ‘his’ team to build on last year’s strong finish; Mauricio Pochettino and his Tottenham side, have gone quietly about their business so far this season – pretty much like they did for much of last year, where they were strong favourites to win the Premier League title in 15/16 for much of the season.
Tottenham convincingly beat Stoke at the Britannia Stadium today, with Harry Kane and Dele Alli both opening their accounts for the season; to maintain their unbeaten start to the current campaign, putting them just 4 points behind leaders Manchester City.
Still early days we know, but is this an indication that Spurs may finally put their Arsenal hoodoo to bed this year and in the process maintain a serious title challenge to the bitter end?
Kane recently quoted the team are “Better equipped, than last year”. Whilst the others talk about the title credentials of both the Manchester teams & Conte’s Chelsea, Spurs may just go quietly about their business to build on last year’s success?
- Sadio is the ‘Mane man’ at Liverpool – signing of the summer?
A Sadio Mane inspired Liverpool, put champions Leicester to the sword in a 4-1 thrashing at Anfield this evening as the £34 million summer signing from Southampton scored one and was the architect to the final fourth goal scored by Roberto Firmino.
The Senegalese international already has 2 goals and 1 assist in three starts this season.
With his surging runs, he is a real catalyst to Liverpool’s attacks, especially on the break.
His goal today, takes his goal tally to eight in his last eight Premier League appearances – further proof of the danger he possesses.
Can he inspire Liverpool to finish top four or beyond this season?
Could he prove to be the signing of the summer?
Additional talking point’s from Match Day 4 2016…
- Arsenal leave it late to beat Southampton with lucky pen – is this proof they haven’t got the goals nor steal to challenge for title?
- Stoke and Saints yet to record a win – long season ahead?
- Antonio and Capoue – scoring for fun! Dream team bargains? Who would you prefer?
- Benteke opens account for Crystal Palace. Is this the start of something beautiful?
- Snodgrass scores again! Can he inspire Hull City to avoid the drop?
- Was Cahill fouled for Swansea second goal?
- Guess who’s back, back again – Lukaku’s back – with a bang! Will this be the start of his season?
Whats your thoughts on the topics above?
Leave comments below…